Two $1,000 scholarships for restaurant workers and children of restaurant workers are available from the Shui Kuen and Allen Chin Scholarship, a program of the Asian Pacific Fund. The scholarship, founded in 2005, honors the values of Detroit restaurant owners Shui Kuen and Allen Chin through supporting the education aspirations of children of workers in the Asian/Pacific Islander food service industry in the U.S. Eligibility criteria are:
- Self or parent currently or formerly employed at an Asian-owned or Asian cuisine restaurant
- Community advocacy and social justice work on behalf of Asian American, immigrant, gay and lesbian and other progressive causes
- Grade level: Incoming freshman or current, full-time undergraduate in 2011-12
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Status: U.S. citizenship or permanent residence
Completed application includes:
- on-line application with essays
- most recent official transcript(s) of grades (including grading scale)
- resume (paid or unpaid work experience, school activities, family responsibilities, community service, honors and awards) two letters of recommendation, at least on of which is a from a current teacher or professor FAFSA Student Aid Report
Application Deadline: March 17, 2011
Click here for the on-line application.
The Asian Pacific Fund is a community foundation established to improve the health and well-being of all Asian Americans in the Bay Area. The Fund offers 17 scholarship programs to help undergraduate and graduate students achieve their education and career goals. For more information, please go to www.asianpacificfund.org where you can find a link to all the scholarship programs that they offer.
For more info, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.